Last year Google has focused on integrating the Talk service with SMS and MMS and hence they rolled out Hangouts in Nexus 5 and removed the standalone SMS feature. This year Google has introduced a standalone messaging app known as Google Messenger. The new app can send SMS and MMS from the same place. People can share pictures and videos from the chat dialog, search contacts and conversations, block SMSs, send audio messages, send emjios and more. It updates the basic text messaging app that comes pre-installed on almost every Android smartphone.
The new Google Messenger app also follows the same build pattern as the other Material Design apps. This app is an alternative for users who don’t quite like Hangouts, which integrates SMS with Google chats. Google has made this app available for users having Android JellyBean (4.1) or higher.
Key Features of Google Messenger:
- Faster sharing: Select or take pictures and videos directly from the app and share easily. You can even send audio messages to your contacts.
- Easy search: Search through contacts and conversation threads to find exactly what you are looking for.
- Purposeful design: New, fluid, material design that is intuitive and delightful.
- More control: Ability to block SMS senders. No interruptions when you don’t want them!
- More features: audio messages, emoji support, colored text threads, message archiving and more.
If you want to upgrade your stock SMS app or want to separate Hangouts ans SMS feature, then you should give it a try.